Childbirth & Parenting Antenatal Education Program
This education program is recommended for first time parents, or as a refresher for those who need it. The program will prepare you emotionally and physically for pregnancy, labour, birth and your early parenting experience. Our educators aim to ensure you and your partner feel confident and informed about pregnancy, labour and parenting. The childbirth and parenting education program works through a number of topics, these include labour preparation, parenting and breastfeeding.
Optional formats include:
2 Week Program, Tuesday or Wednesday night 6:00pm - 9.00pm, costs $340.00 per couple
2 Week Program, Saturday 9:00am - 12:00pm, costs $340.00 per couple
2 Week Mandarin Program, Tuesday night 6:00pm – 9:00 pm, costs $340 per couple
What is covered Week 1 - Labour & Pain Relief
- When to come to hospital
- Strategies and support to work with labour
- Symptoms to be concerned about
- Induction of Labour Normal labour and your birth
- When self-help techniques are not enough
- Medical alternatives for pain relief
- Unexpected outcomes
- Variations of labour
- Complications of birth
- Caesarean Section – a brief overview
What is covered Week 2 - Parenting and Breastfeeding Education
- The importance of breastfeeding your baby
- The advantages of breastfeeding
- The importance of Dad's and breastfeeding
- The challenges around breastfeeding and how to overcome these
- How to recognise a hungry baby
- Correct positioning and attachment when breastfeeding
- The first few days in hospital-what to expect from your baby
- Parenting the first few days
- Your recovery in hospital
- Caring for yourself and your newborn
- Sleep and Settling Techniques
- Baby blues and Post-natal depression
- Where to go for advice when you bring your baby home
- Changing relationships and the importance of communication
Active Birth Class
Our active birth class is recommended for first time parents who have attended the childbirth and parenting program, or for those experienced parents who may want further support for their next birth.
In our active birth class, you and your support person will have an hour of hands on practice with the use of non-medicated pain relief techniques. The class will begin with a short power point presentation, with the majority of the class spent practicing.
What is covered?
- Massage techniques
- Visualisation in labour
- Vocalisation and chanting
- Relaxation in labour
- Positive thinking
- Support and encouragement from support person
Active birth classes are held in the evening from 7.00pm to 9.00pm, cost is $65 per couple.
Grandparent to Be Class
There have been many changes in how we care for women in pregnancy and labour along with how new parents care and nurture their baby since your own baby was born. Our grandparent to be class provides an opportunity for you to prepare for the arrival of your new grandchild.
What is covered?
- How parenting has changed since you were a new mum or dad
- Recognising and managing postnatal depression and anxiety
- Resources in the community to help new parents
- A refresher on wrapping, nappy changing, burping and bathing babies. A practical lesson!
- How to settle baby to sleep
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) guidelines
- The advantages and challenges of breastfeeding
- Time for questions and discussion
Grandparent to Be Classes are held in the evening from 6pm to 8pm. Cost is $45 per person.
Please note: This class is designed and formatted for Grandparent’s ONLY. Expecting mothers are to book and attend their own Antenatal class.