Childbirth and Parenting Program
St George Private Hospital has committed to planning and providing a comprehensive childbirth and parenting program to prepare parents for the birth of their child. Our educators are all experienced Registered Midwives.
Our Childbirth and Parenting program consists of 8 hours of class time. Whether you choose to attend the weeknight classes for 4 weeks or the Saturday class, and following Monday, the content of the classes are the same. If you attend a Saturday class we cover Weeks 1, 2 and 3 on Saturday and Week 4 on the Monday.
- Normal labour & birth
- Strategies & support to work with labour
- Symptoms to be concerned about
- When to come to hospital
- When self help techniques are not enough
- Medical alternatives for pain relief
- Unexpected outcomes
- Variations of labour
- Complications of birth
- Maternity tour
- The importance of breastfeeding your baby
- The advantages of breastfeeding
- The importance of Dad's and breastfeeding
- The challenges around breastfeeding and how to overcome these
- How to recognise a hungry baby
- Correct positioning and attachment when breastfeeding
- The first few days in hospital-what to expect from your baby
- Parenting the first few days
- Your recovery in hospital
- Caring for yourself & your newborn; including nappy changing, wrapping, bathing and burping
- Sleep and Settling Techniques
- Baby blues and Post natal depression
- Where to go for advice when you bring your baby home
- Changing relationships and the importance of communication
- What to expect from newborn babies
- A refresher on wrapping, nappy changing, burping and bathing babies. A practical lesson!
- How to settle baby to sleep
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) guidelines
- The advantages and challenges of breastfeeding
- How parenting has changed since you were a new mum or dad
- Recognising and managing postnatal depression and anxiety
- Resources in the community to help new parents
- Time for questions and discussion
- Massage techniques
- Visualisation in labour
- Vocalisation and chanting
- Relaxation in labour
- Positive thinking
- Support and encouragement from support person
Although we cover non medicated pain relief techniques in Week 1, you do not have any practical experience. If you book in to the Active Birth Class, you and your support person will have an hour of hands on practice of all the techniques used in non-medicated pain relief techniques. This class gives you a better understanding of how to apply what you have learned in Week 1.
Active Birth commences with a short power point presentation with the majority of the class spent practicing the techniques mentioned above.
For more information on breathing techniques and practical methods of coping with labour pain we suggest you book in to our Active Birth Session. The Childbirth and Parenting program gives an overview of natural pain relief options but for a more practical approach, book in to Active Birth today.
- Reasons for Caesarean Section
- Role of the support person
- What to expect from the time of your admission to your stay in the postnatal ward
- Anaesthetics and post natal analgesia
- Unexpected outcomes- signs of labour
- Your post natal stay
- Managing at home
These classes are held every second month on a Tuesday evening from 7pm to 9pm for 4 consecutive weeks. The months they will be held this year are: July, August, September and October.
Please click here to download our childbirth & parenting program flyer.
Booking your Antenatal Classes
Please book the required classes as soon as possible to ensure your preferred placement. Class numbers are restricted to maintain a personal and conducive teaching environment, based on adult education principles.
We recommend that you commence sessions at approximately 28-32 weeks of pregnancy and have completed your course by 34-36 weeks. This will ensure you will be attending classes with others due around the same time as you.
It is advised that you attend the Childbirth and Parenting Sessions before Active Birth or Caesarean Section Classes, this way you get most out of every session.
- Weeknight sessions 4 weeks 7pm to 9pm $340 per couple.
- Saturday session 9am to 3pm and the following Monday evening 7pm to 9pm $350 per couple.
- Active Birth 7pm to 9pm $65 per couple. This session focuses on breathing and relaxation in labour, visualisation, massage techniques, movement and positions in labour.
- Grandparents To Be 7pm to 9.30pm $45 per person.
- Caesarean section class 7pm to 9pm $65 per couple
- If your partner is unable to attend a particular session, you may bring another support person (over 18 years of age). We also ask that you or your partner do not attend classes if you are unwell or suffering from known diseases such as chickenpox, measles or shingles.
- The cost of the classes includes educational material and light refreshments
- Receipts for classes will be sent to you by post, please bring this receipt with you when you attend your classes
- A refund for classes may be possible depending on your level of cover with your health fund. Please check with your health fund